Today is World Environment Day 2019. It’s an internationally recognised day for raising awareness about environmental issues, and for everyday people to take action to protect the environment that sustains our air, food and water. Here at STOREMASTA we think quite seriously about how our operations affect the environment so on this World Environment Day we’d like to share the top three ways we see our contribution to ensuring a healthy planet Earth.
1. Corporate attitude and culture
As a company STOREMASTA understands that everything we do affects the environment in some way, and all of us need to think wisely about how our everyday actions will impact the lives of future generations. Our own corporate attitude and culture reflects these beliefs from the bottom to the top.
In the words of our CEO Caleb Urquhart — “One of the great things about our business is that our core product and service offerings help other organisations reduce risk and improve efficiencies when storing hazardous chemicals and Dangerous Goods. We are proud to have the opportunity of influencing our world towards cleaner chemical management solutions.”
Everyone at STOREMASTA recognises that our company directly influences the environment on a much larger scale than some other organisations and we don’t take this responsibility lightly. We want all our products and services to fully support a healthy and safe planet for the oncoming generations as well as ourselves.
2. Improving efficiencies for other organisations
Emissions, chemical spills, pesticides, uncontrolled waste: there are so many ways that hazardous chemicals and dangerous goods can enter the Earth’s ecosystems. Here at STOREMASTA we help our clients find more efficient (and greener) ways to store and handle hazardous chemicals. This includes offering:
1. Advanced chemical storage products
- Spill reduction - efficient chemical decanting equipment and fully automated transfer systems that reduce spillage and environmental exposure.
- Spill containment - expertly designed chemical safety cabinets and outdoor stores with spill containment sumps to reduce the risk of chemicals being released into the environment. We also supply bunding products that fit under chemical drums, pallets, and IBCs, again minimising the environmental impacts of container breakages and leaks.
- Isolation control - innovative storage cabinets and chemical stores that match the hazard class of individual substances to safely segregate them from incompatible materials and substances. This reduces the risk of dangerous reactions, fires and explosions which can be catastrophic on the natural environment.
2. Innovative advice and guidance
- Chemical safety and compliance audits - using our technical knowledge and field experience to inspect and audit work areas for issues of non-compliance including environmental hazards.
- Risk assessments - applying our 4-STEP risk management methodology IDENTIFY - ASSESS - CONTROL - SUSTAIN to the chemical hazards in the workplace and finding ways to improve chemical storage, operating procedures and environmental practices.
- Equipment inspections and appraisals - inspecting emergency decontamination stations, as well as chemical storage and decanting equipment for compliance and integrity issues.
3. Leading by example
But we aren’t just telling others what to do and ignoring our own business, we consistently take measures to reduce our own carbon footprint by replacing machines and production tools with units that have a reduced impact on the environment. Only last year we replaced two large hydraulic operated machines with electric powered machines that don’t use hydrocarbons.
What difference have these new machines made?
- Up to 50% energy saving
- Low CO2 Emissions
- No Harmful Hydraulic Oil
When all of us take even small steps, big things can happen.
World Environment Day is for everyone
We do hope this short post gives you a better understanding of STOREMASTA’s commitment to doing our part to protect the world we live in. It’s a combined effort and we look forward to continuing to help you overcome the problems you face when managing the environmental risks associated with hazardous chemicals.